Never has anything so fancy been so simple to make
When in need for a party dish with only a day’s notice, my husband came up with these amazing little truffles from things we happened to have on hand. So that’s good news! No crazy items you need to go out and buy, these treats are ready to be made with items already on hand.
It did require a little bit of prepping and forethought. We set out the cream cheese that had already been dipped into (feel free to use a full 8 oz block) and butter the morning of the party as we knew we were going to be running a few errands, so they sat at room temp for around 3 hours, maybe four, and became totally manageable to work with. Another time I made these with low-fat cream cheese and butter that only sat out for an hour and it was still amazing (even with low fat cream cheese!), so whatever works for you pretty much works for these truffles too.
I put about a cup and a half of vanilla wafers into our Electric Bullet to make the fine crumbs used as a coating, and then I left the rest of the vanilla wafers in their bag and crunched them up with the heel of my palm. No sense in dirtying another sandwich bag, right?
The sugar can completely be to your taste, but the 2 1/2 Tablespoons worked perfect. Because they weren’t too sweet, these truffles flew off the serving platter at the party! It’s been a favorite and requested every year, so it’s time to share!
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c. vanilla wafers, broken into pea size crumbs
- 1 c. vanilla wafers, finely crushed
Let’s Get Cooking:
- Cream butter and cream cheese together.
- Stir salt, sugar, vanilla extract into cream cheese mixture. Once blended, mix in the pea sized vanilla wafers until combined. For the next step, the mixture will need to be manageable to form a shape and hold, so if needed, refrigerate the mixture for about ten minutes to firm it up.
- Spread the finely crushed vanilla wafers onto a small plate.
- Working quickly, roll cream cheese mixture into small 1 inch balls and coat in the fine wafer crumbs by gently rolling the ball around.
- Refrigerate again for at least an hour before serving.